About Open Studios of Roanoke

My photo
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
A peek into the studios of artists and their art. 13th Annual Tour April 27 & 28, 2013 Saturday 10 a.m - 5 p.m The FREE tour features sites in four neighborhoods: South Roanoke, Old Southwest, Downtown, and Raleigh Court. Please visit our sister website http://www.openstudiosofroanoke.com/index.html

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Guest, Nancy Stark 2012

We welcome Nancy Stark, whom also is showing with us for the first time. You can see her work at the home studio of Dave Wertz.
430 Walnut Ave. SE.
Roanoke, Virginia 24014
Phone: 206-391-9622
Email: ametalsoul@gmail.com
website: www.ametalsoul.com

Artist Statement

Strong sunlight and cast shadows are often the inspiration for my artwork. My paintings are a response to the pattern, shape, texture and line observed in the world around me. In composing my subject I zoom in for a close-up view. And whether rendering trains, chairs or flowers I leave out as much or more of the subject as I paint. The viewer is invited to enjoy the artwork and fill in the missing piece.

Brief History

I am an artist more by happenstance than by training. I did not heed my mother's advice to go to art school. Instead, I attended Lafayette College, in the first co-ed class, and then the University of Virginia where I received a Masters degree in Special Education. Fifteen years later, after teaching in public and private institutions and after the birth of my third child, I took a watercolor class with Kay Flory. Kay was challenging yet kind and she introduced me to an art world full of possibilities.

Since then I have taken many workshops, traveled with fellow artists, read lots of books and magazine articles and spent countless hours in the studio. Artists I have studied with include: Carole Barnes, Carrie Brown, Judy Betts, Miles Batt, Mary Todd Beam, Mary Ann Beckwith, Gerald Brommer, Pat Dews, Jean Grastorf, Karlyn Holman, George James, Carla O'Connor, Morris Shubin, John Salminen, Janet Walsh and Donna Zagotta.


The evolution of my painting style and subject matter has been shaped by life events and contact with several individuals. For me, making art is truly a process, an exciting, challenging journey that has filled my life with friendships and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment